Thursday, March 27, 2008

Accuracy in a comic no one reads: important?

I think I'm going to put up a poll, so the two-ish lost people who stumble by here can help me out on this one (Ha! I'm going to vote in this poll myself until I decide.). One of the Pun Pirates (from the ongoing Glockblob story "A-kill-a The Pun!") is Pierette, the French clown who is apparently not as well-known as my high school musical experience would have me believe. I started drawing Pierette like so:

(That's her in the top right.)

This is another page that I could gripe about transcribing to the computer on, but since that's thoroughly useless, I'll abstain. For now. My main problem is this: it took me forever to finalize that version of Pierette (is that spelled right? or wrong? the world may never know), which I basically designed around the idea that she's a black and white clown from France. The costume for her in the play was a poof-ball affair but I assumed that was just one of many interpretations. But as it turns out, France has been invaded by (and has promptly surrendered to) a poof-ball invasion, and in my remarkably belated research, every picture I can find of her looks like this:
That is a terrifying, terrifying, terrifying picture, my friends. Her dead eyes... they reach for me.... and that inhuman anatomy... *shudder*

Either they've got black poof-balls on white, or they're in color, or there's some other arrangement of poof-balls (I don't know why I ever started hyphenating that but I can't stop now). So my primary assumption about Pierette, namely, that she's mostly important for being black and white, seems to be untrue, while the poof-balls that haunt my dreams seem to be fairly regularly turning up. (That stupid collar isn't getting anywhere near Glockblob under any circumstances, so I'm not worried about that).
The question is this, and it is quite a conundrum: I'm writing this comic for myself and four other people on the Glockblob Mailing List (TM). Considering I have to trace the whole thing into the computer, it wouldn't be impossible to change her costume to white with black poof-------balls. But I really like it the way it is now. But the whole thing is a visual pun that no one's likely to get anyway (except probably one) so if I don't make it clear than how will it work even on a minuscule level? And why would it matter if I just left it the way I like it and let people delete it as soon as it arrives, as is the ancient tradition?

I would also like to take time to note that I think Yippo looks pretty rad in that page, and I'm trying to take care and make sure she never, ever, ever looks as crappy as she did in the last page she was rainbow-colored. *shudder*

No comments: