Wednesday, August 20, 2008

I guess today is not move-in day

So I have some extra time to finish this up, but I'll go ahead and put up step one so I don't forget about it. This doesn't qualify as a Haunt because I've just discovered it, but hopefully it becomes one over time. The one I am really excited about is Project Rooftop, as in like Project Runway for superheroes. Starting with the "Draw Batgirl" meme (yeah, apparently that was a meme, I didn't know either) they have put out a challenge to redesign a superhero costume and then you get to see the results.
This is pretty darn cool in its own right; they've done an excellent job picking subjects, from relative unknowns like Stephanie Brown, the female Robin, to Superman himself. And the art they've collected is just awesome. I would love to get good enough to produce a decent entry for one of these contests, but as my main focus is just getting better, I'm not focusing on the immediate challenge.
I'm going to start with their oldest contest (Draw Supergirl) and go through all the challenges they've done. This gives me the advantage of being able to absolutely poach all the winning entries for ideas, and also lets me focus on doing what I really need to get better at (drawing the human form in space). Someday I may go back and pick up Batgirl too, but I'm starting with Supergirl. I've never given her any credit at all, but looking over other people's versions of her made her open up as a character (geez I sound so phony but THAT IS WHAT THE INTERNET IS FOR) so I'm gonna give her a shot. So far the hardest thing is that with a flying person, all the little shortcuts that trick the eye into thinking the body looks right standing up stop working. It's like having to design a 3-D hologram, with all the perspective and such. And adding any character traits makes this even harder.
Hopefully, plowing through the old contests will get me in the habit of drawing regularly. I have always hated the idea of "discipline" connected to doodling, but I think I'm going to give it a shot. I don't think I'll let it become a chore (more likely, I'll forget all about it in a week or so) but it is awfully nice to have the ability to draw something on the first try instead of refining it for an hour to get it to look right. At least, I assume it's nice to have that ability. If this succeeds spectactularly, I'm going to try and get into Illustration Friday, which provides a one-word prompt and then collects entries from all over the internet. I think it would be a fun thing to draw for but it is killing me that it did not exist when I was doing Zacchaeus. Oh well; it's pretty neat just standing on its own.
And now, the only drawing which I have gotten done for all this prattling on:
It's sideways. And it's got that good ol' drawn-with-mechanical-pencil-on-computer-paper look to it. I really need to find my sketchpad. But the good news is that it's the perfect starter: I can't do worse than the actual comic book artists on this one:

No comments: