Thursday, October 16, 2008

This Is How You Do It II

This might become a new category for me, along with Haunt Haunt Haunt Haunt Haunt Haunt Haunt (which I am sadly behind on): Storytelling Done Right. Sometimes something is just really well done and it deserves recognition. So for #2, we flip all the way from Shirley Jackson to McG. Supernatural is a show that I never thought I would like; I reluctantly accepted the DVDs from a new, enthusiastic friend and let them sit on my shelf for several months, then decided I had to watch them before I could give them back at the end of the year. With great trepidation, I put the first DVD in in the background on a day when I could let it play all day without disturbing my roommate, got on the Internet to have something to do while this tedious WB show played in the background, and promptly became completely engrossed because of the following exchange:
Sam: Whatever you want to say, you can say in front of her.
Dean: OK. Um. Dad hasn't been home in a few days.
Sam: So he's working overtime on a Miller Time shift. He'll stumble back in sooner or later.
Dean: Dad's on a hunting trip, and he hasn't been home in a few days.
Sam: Jess, excuse us. We have to go outside.


EDIT: I tried to let this stand on its own and I was troubled because it doesn't seem to work on the page. And then, stupid me remembered that storytelling isn't always done in words--in this case, for example, a lot comes down to the directing, staging, and acting.

No comments: