Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Never fear, Space Bimbo!

Cap'n Dashing is here!
So this is pretty obviously right off the sketchpad, and I'm just noticing that backlit, the Cap's lookin' a little transparent... we can just assume that that's because of some alien serum he had to imbibe in order to rescue Space Bimbo from her forced wedding to Emperor Eeveel, not because this picture was freakin' hard to draw. So...many...limbs!...Must...return...to...talking...blobs... Which I promise to do soon, by the way. Turns out action and perspective are absolute expletives to get right, even if your main characters are an amorphous blob and a rectangular prism that doesn't even have straight edges.

In typing that sentence, I accidentally wrote "rectacular." Now I must find an appropriately witty context in which to use this new word.

So, to wrap up Cap'n Dashing, if you don't remember him, he's from this page of Glockblob titled "Is it another page? No! It's... The Ad At The End That You Think Is Another Page!" Which was a funny enough concept, but that was back in the day when I hacked out all my drawings in 20-30 seconds and then wrote about how crappy they were. As aside to now... when I hack out my drawings in 20-30 days... and then write about how crappy they are. Yessirree, my skills of an artist are movin' on up.

Clearly, it could have used more work on the writing end too. I do think it was a funny concept, but the concept is the whole joke, and there could have been more. Whine, whine, whine, whine. But I love Cap'n Dashing, still, and hopefully he will be my excuse to draw human beings once in awhile. I would like to get to where I can draw the standard old-fashioned tough-guys, like Supes. Clearly, it doesn't come naturally. But someday I hope to make it to Brewster Rockit standards.

Actually, after reading that page one more time, I feel the most criminal part of it was that this little guy gets shortchanged.
I need to find a way to use him.

No comments: