Thursday, April 17, 2008

Some Glockblob to fill the void

When I finish this story. That's when I'm going to ink drawings.

I swear.

Did this page on the D.C. metro. In case you were wondering. And sitting in line at the Archives, which is where I made that glaring error. See it? See the glaring error?
I did play it a little smarter this time... I ignored the shading on Glockblob altogether and tried to minimize it on Yippo and Pierette. But even the little bit I have looks hackneyed in color.
I love what happens to the center panel below: (yeah the order of the panels changed because I changed the page before this around)

This is what makes it so hard to give up color... without it, there's no way I could get that cool ultra-smooth effect in the last one with the umbrella. As it is, I got it at random clicking around on different filter effects. And I love this one for Yippo and Pierrette, but it is kind of jarring that it comes out of nowhere... I'm pretty sure this issue started out in 4-color glory and now is wandering around in Frank Miller land.
Which is a pretty ok place to be. But right now I'm trying to copy David Mazzucchelli:

Of course, he gets to have his cake and eat it too, because of colorist Richmond Lewis, whose choices are amazing throughout Year One. I'm constantly trying and failing to copy them. I'm just not brave enough to pull off some of the color groups he throws together.

That, and I'm making a comic at 2 in the morning about my margin doodles, based on a nonsense word I made up to annoy someone.
Happy Birthday, Someone!

No comments: