Friday, September 26, 2008

Pastel therapy

I tried to draw some this afternoon and came away very frustrated. I was pretty decent at caricatures in sixth grade (in my fairly warped memory) but I am not good at all at cartoonizing people. I think I need to start consciously copying somebody...probably Joel Silver... which kind of makes me mad. Not that I don't think his stuff is great. My stuff is this really bizarre Frankenstein's monster right now, because I want to have something fun-looking but at the same time I don't naturally draw with a very cartoony look (for a moment, let's conveniently forget that most of the time I draw a half-block, half-blob with giant google eyes and big springy antennae). I like depth. But... we'll see. The most important thing, I am assured by everyone who talks about such things, is to draw, draw, draw. Experimenting sucks when you want everything to succeed right away. This is probably a big reason why I'm not a chemist.

So anyway, to cheer up I did some coloring.
No, I still have not given up on WWII-Era Stephanie Brown. I probably should. This worked so well right up until the face, at which point it nosedived. It took me a long time to master the comic book mouth with a pencil, and I have no idea how to make it happen with pastels. I'm not sure it's possible... at least not at this size. But really I'm pretty ok with this if you chop the head off. And ignore the glaring difference in forearm-length.


He's so happy.
Glockblob has been a mainstay of my margins mostly because classes are unhappy things, in general, and Glockblob is a very happy thing. You can really tell by looking at my notes which classes are the worst; in those, the margins spill out on to the page and obstruct the notes, sometimes covering old notes completely. This is a very purple version of him, but still. Smiles.

No comments: